Auto Systems and Repair: Timing Chain Tensioner
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Engine may stall or run rough
- Noise in the front of the engine (a rattle or rumble, associated with engine speed)
- Check Engine Light may illuminate and set misfire, camshaft sensor, and crankshaft sensor codes
Related Repair Advice
- When replacing a timing chain tensioner, replace the whole timing chain set, which includes all of the chains, the gear set, the tensioner(s), and the guides.
- An engine may have multiple timing chains; replacing all of the chains and their related components is recommend if one chain requires replacement.
- Using high quality, fully synthetic engine oil may extend the life of the timing chain and related components.
- On certain engines, the water pump is driven by the timing chain. It should be replaced if the timing chain is replaced.